Thursday 17 June 2021

Dragonflies & Damselflies Day 2

 I returned today, Wednesday 16th, to see if I can improve on my technique to photograph these flies. Yesterday I took my shots using a Canon 100-400mm lens fitted with a polarizing filter. I had set out to take shots on & around water. I had not expected to be shooting dragonflies however I had a couple of surprises. First one was the effect of the polarizer on the results. The colours were much richer than I expected, as my white balance was correct, and I had not boosted the colours using Photoshop I concluded that this must be due to the polarizing filter. Second problem is this is a slow lens, so this means working with high ISO or a tight depth of field. Of course, removing the Polarizer would help. Today I switched to my faster 70-200mm f2.8, I decided to use a polarizer although in future I would rather have the breadth of aperture and speed without the polarizer.















                                                                © Lionel Callow 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment